95th Church Anniversary


Sunday - 9AM Sunday School, 10AM Worship Service | Wednesday - 7PM Bible Study

95 Years of God's Grace - 1928 - 2023

Celebrate with us as we honor our 75 founders and the Hopewell Baptist Church 95 years after it's founding. 

On March 19, 1928, eight men, some of whom were former deacons of the Mt. Olive Baptist and organized a church now known as the Hopewell Baptist Church.  These mean were Deacon Otha Thomas, Gainor Jackson, Irving Atkins, Jessie Hicks, Jeff McKenzie, E. J. Glover, Ben Hicks and Alex Jones.

Deacon Thomas was elected as Chairman of the Deacon Board, after which Jasper P. Howard was chosen to name the church.  After deliberation and with the assistance of Deacon Thomas, the Hopewell Baptist Church was named.

In July of 1928, the Hopewell Baptist Church called as their first pastor, Rev. S.B. Oates of Albany, Georgia.  Rev. Oates ordained Rev. R.L. Walker, Deacon Henry Brown and Deacon Charles Jones.  Many members joined Hopewell during his tenure (1928-1931).  After eighteen months, Hopewell was able to purchase a building at 114 Wooster Street for $22,000 and a boiler for $7,000.


Rev. E.B. Davis of Savannah, Georgia, succeeded Rev. S.B. Oates.  Rev. Huston Crutchfield of New Rochelle, New York, succeeded Rev. Davis and he pastured during the dark days of the depression.  In January, 1938, during the pastorate of Rev. Crutchfield, the church’s second mortgage was burned.    Rev. Crutchfield served from 1932 through 1938.


Rev. Luther A. Holloway succeeded Rev. Crutchfield in 1940 and was succeeded by Rev. David S. Craig.   Under Rev. Craig’s pastorate (1942-1957), Hopewell raised $29,000 to pay off all outstanding debts and new pews and carpeting were installed.  After the departure of Rev. D.S. Craig, Rev. Fred L. King served as interim pastor (1957-1958).

 Rev. Timothy Mitchell of New York was called to pastor the church in 1958.  He was at the helm when $65,000 in debt was paid and 278 souls came to Christ.   Prior to his resignation in 1961, he established new bylaws, incorporated the church and organized a building fund.  

In 1962 Rev. Edward R. King was called to serve as Hopewell's pastor.  He too made a huge contribution during his 5-year tenure.  He led the membership to purchase a parsonage on Cornwall St and the edifice at 265 Enfield St.  Rev. King organized the Hospitality Auxiliary, the E. R. King Ensemble (now known as the Concert Choir) and Women's Day which was spearheaded by Sis. Esther Riley.  The baptismal pool project was headed by Mother Frances.

In July of 1969, Rev. William J. McKissick became pastor.  He was inspirational with the youth in Christian Religious Services.  Also, the Celestial Choir and the President's Council (Officer's Council) were organized.  He was instrumental in activation Usher Board No. 2 as a ministry.  Through the insight and determination of Sis. Susie Givens, who served as Chairperson of the Trustee Bd, the mortgage burning was accomplished.

Following the resignation of Rev. McKissick, Rev. George L. Exum served as interim pastor for three years.  He was later call as pastor and served for 13 years.  Under Rev. Exum's leadership, Disciple Training and a New Members committee was formed, led by Sis. Emma Thompson (Coleman).  In 1983 the Soup Kitchen was formed due to the dedication of Deacon Albert Farmer who worked closely with Deacon Willie Washington.

With the resignation of Rev. Exum in 1991, Hopewell was left without a pastor for three years.  During those three years, many came out to the church at 6:00 a.m. to pray and ask God for His guidance.  During that time, Deacon Robert Bolden, Deacon Board Chair, kept the church family focused.

In August, 1994, God sent Rev. David L. Massey of Monroe, North Carolina to pastor the church.  Under his leadership and with his guidance, the following ministries were established: Women's and Men's Ministries, Tape (Media) Ministry,  and Seniors on the Move. In January 998, Rev. Massey presented a Capital Building Campaign to the membership called "Vision 2000", emphasizing the "team approach" to ministry - people working together for the benefit of the whole.  A professional fundraiser was retained to advise us.  The first official affair was a dinner held at Maneely's Banquet Facility.   The next fundraising event sponsored was a "$100 per plate Gala Affair.  The Non-Auxiliary Fundraising Committee, led by Bro. Johnnie Knighton and Sis. Tina MacDonald, inspired by Deacon Carl Harris, yielded over $21,000 in funds.  This was a beautiful, well-organized beginning for the Capital Building Campaign.  After much sacrificing and giving, a site was secured for our new edifice.  The groundbreaking occured with a grand ceremony and construction commenced with the first phase project.

After prayer on Saturday, December 7, 2002, at 10:30 a.m., a cavalcade of marchers and riders left 265 Enfield St, Hartford to journey to 280 Windsor Ave, Windsor.  We were escorted by the Traffic Department of Hartford and joined by First Church of Windsor and neighbors.  We were warmly welcomed and God truly smiled upon us that day.

We've had several celebrities to visit an worship with us in the coming years, i.e., Melba Moore, sharing with us songs, some of her historical background and the reason she serves the Lord today; Rev. Al Sharpton who preached at morning worship, Tremaine Hawkins who rendered a fantastic concert ; Luther Barnes and his jubilee; Kurt Carr and the Kurt Carr singers; Rev. Shirley Ceasar who gave a powerful sermon; Dorothy Norwood and Rance Allen.

In 2008, Hopewell suffered a great loss in the Homegoing of the last church founder, Sis. Elinor Fields.  We were blessed with her visit and being able to share in service with her shortly before her passing.

On Good Friday, April 10, 2009, our Baptismal Pool as dedicated by 47 converts were baptized.  The sermon was preached by Rev. Dr. Jeff Powell.  The mural that graces the wall of the pool was created by Sis. Karen Wright.  The cross is highlighted over the pool.  The dressing rooms and bathrooms have been completed as another phase of our building efforts as well as extra rooms in the back of the church. 

In 2020, the Corona Virus pandemic hit our nation, churches, schools and other public places with a vengence and were forced to close.  In the beginning of the pandemic, we held our last in-person gathering for our 92nd Church Anniversary in the form of "Oscar Night" where members who had significantly contributed to the church's growth were honored with awards.

Although the pandemic prevented us from gathering for Sunday services due to its severe contagious infection, we held Sunday services and members' funerals in the parking lot.  With the doors of the church still being closed, we were able to view and hear Pastor Massey delivering God's word on Wednesdays and Sundays through Social Media (Facebook) and phone.

In 2022, the church once again opened it's doors for in-person service with masks and social distancing.  With the pandemic gradually subsiding, Pastor proclaimed that the doors of the church were opened again, still with us taking the necessary precautions